Is Pub Ad A Good Optional Subject For UPSC Exam – Public administration is the best optional subject for UPSC and one of the top choices of aspirants. It is a very renowned elective and has a vast applicability in the exam. Due to its applicability to an IAS officer’s job position, it is one of the most well-liked options.
Public Administration is one of the most popular optional subjects in the UPSC Civil Services Exam as the knowledge of the subject comes in handy after becoming an IAS. The subject introduces candidates to the mechanism of public administration, which is a great skill to have for any future administrator.
Is Public Administration a good Optional Subject for UPSC?
Public administration is a good choice if you want to perform well in the UPSC civil services mains exam. It is among the top five subjects with a high success rate in the UPSC examination. It is the only Optional Subject which has overlapping with GS Paper-II, GS Paper-III & GS Paper-IV in the following ways:
- Its syllabus will cover a lot of concepts from GS Paper –II especially areas related to Polity, Constitution and governance.
- It will also help in GS Paper – III especially areas related to Social & Economic Development, Security Issues & Disaster Management.
- It will also cover a minimum of 40% of the syllabus of GS Paper – IV in terms of Ethics, Integrity and aptitude including case studies.
Why Choose Public Administration as an Optional Subject?
If you are struggling a lot while selecting the subject for the UPSC exam, then you should choose “Public Administration Optional”. Here are few reasons-
- Most Popular: Public Administration subject is the most popular subject among the students. The students find it easy to understand in comparison to the other subjects for appearing in the UPSC exam. You will be able to cover the Public Administration course within a short period of time.
- Vast Range of Study Material: If you choose this subject for your IAS exam, you will not get any lack of resources. As Public Administration is one of the most popular optional subjects in the UPSC Civil Services Exam, you can easily find the syllabus, notes, test series and other supporting materials for your preparation.
- Scoring Subject: Public Administration is the most scoring optional subject in UPSC. If you do the study properly and clear all your concepts with the help of the best teachers, you will be able to score 300+ marks easily in the subject.
- Overlaps with GS Papers: Public Administration subject overlaps with the GS Papers i.e. GS Paper II and GS Paper IV. And it also gives you a great advantage while writing the answers for the Essay Paper. The syllabus of pub ad also includes Indian Polity and Governance that will help you in the UPSC Prelims.
- Small Syllabus: Public Administration for IAS is easier than the other optional subjects as its syllabus is short and easy in comparison to the syllabus of History, Geography, etc. It will help you to focus on the other difficult topics of the other papers.
In conclusion, Public Administration proves to be the best optional subject for UPSC aspirants. Its practical relevance, alignment with administrative roles, and comprehensive coverage of governance make it a wise choice, equipping candidates with valuable insights for a successful civil services journey.
Frequently Asked Questions on Pub Ad Optional
Public Administration is often considered a suitable optional subject for UPSC due to its relevance to civil services. It provides insights into governance, bureaucracy, and public policy, enhancing an aspirant’s understanding of administrative processes.
Public Administration is the most scoring subject. If you do the study properly and clear all your concepts with the help of the best teachers, you will be able to score 300+ marks easily in the subject.